DIALECTICAL BEHAVIOUR THERAPY
- Level 1: Early Bird: S$600. Standard Price: S$650
- Level 2: Early Bird: S$300. Standard Price: S$325
- Level 1: TBC Q4 2021
- Level 2: TBC Q4 2021
Dr Jeffery regularly runs online courses where she ensures the experiential learning and role plays are not compromised
Focus of the online courses:
Marsha Linehan and colleagues developed a systematic cognitive-behavioural treatment called Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) for working with individuals who meet criteria for borderline personality disorder. The therapy aims to teach skills to improve emotional regulation which includes interpersonal skills, mindfulness and distress tolerance skills. Personal and environmental factors inhibit the use of behaviour skills that the individual possesses and frequently reinforce inappropriate behaviours. In individual treatment, DBT focuses on motivational issues and seeks to balance skill development with a supportive context that validates the person’s experiences.
However DBT also involves a considered focus on the therapeutic relationship and to therapy interfering behaviours. Examples of therapy interfering behaviours include the client’s poor compliance with aspects of the treatment contract, emotional withdrawal during sessions, missed appointments, and anger towards the therapist.
Level 1 (introduction): This workshop is intended for therapists who are familiar with, as well as those with little or no previous exposure to DBT or cognitive behavioural therapy. The format of the training includes lecture material, videotapes of treatment, and practice exercises to teach the principles and strategies of DBT.
- Day 1. A dialectical biopyschosocial theory of borderline personality disorder; structuring treatment for multi-problem, high-suicide risk clients; basic strategies used in individual DBT; enhancing & maintaining the therapy relationship; dealing with unrelenting crisis, applying behaviour change principles.
- Day 2. Application and practise of DBT skills of Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Interpersonal Effectiveness, and Emotional Regulation. Group issues in DBT.
Level 2 (advanced): This workshop structure combines a focus on the more complex aspects of DBT, as well as a chance for clinicians to review some of their own complex cases and look at adherence to the DBT model:
- Structuring the session (Targeting & Case Formulation, Behavioural chain analysis and solution analysis, Contingency Management, Stylistic Strategies)
- Managing life-threatening behaviours, Monitoring adherence and outcomes, Common pitfalls and problems and how to overcome them, Complex case review
Participants are required to keep their cameras on during active sessions
Bookings can only be confirmed upon full payment
If you are not able to book online with a credit card or PayPal, please contact us at email@example.com and we will be able to issue a manual invoice
Dr Sian Jeffery is the Coordinator of the DBT programs at Fremantle Mental Health Service (FMHS) since 2009. She was involved in the establishment of the comprehensive year-long DBT program and a 20 week DBT skills group at FMHS.
Dr Jeffery has completed intensive DBT training with Behavioral Tech (Marsha Linehan’s research and training organisation), as well as with the Portland DBT Institute. She has been an invited reviewer for journal articles in this area and has provided numerous presentations and workshops on working with borderline personality disorder and DBT around Australia.
Dr Jeffery provides regular supervision in DBT and has consulted to a number of public and private services as they established their own DBT programs. Dr Jeffery is delighted to train more therapists in this highly effective methodology.